25 June 2018

Hafiz Adewuyi

One week without a car in Lagos

Is like a year without rain - channelling "A year without rain - Selena Gomez"

---

My car has been at the panel beater's workshop for the past 6 days. It's due to be back with me on Tuesday (two days to go). That said, I thought I'd talk about my experience in the past week where I've been forced to go through life in a state that's comparable to missing a limb.

Uber splurge

As soon as I got home from the panel beater's workshop on Monday evening, I transferred 15000 Naira from my annual car maintenance budget to my current account. Narration: "Uber allowance". Without that, my lean-cut monthly budget could not have survived the blow from me taking an Uber to-and-fro work every day for a week.

Fortunately, Uber has been giving me 50% discount on up to 5-rides per week for the past two months (or longer). And this week was no exception. I had already used one of the 5 discounts on the journey back home from the workshop on Monday. The remain 4-trip discount definitely was not going to get me very far, what with two rides a day for a 5-day week (if you don't know maths like my friend, Ifeanyi, that's 2 *5 = 10). So I decided to address this limitation.

Before midweek, I had gotten my sister and a colleague (Lanre) to apply the same LAG-GOAL 50% discount to their own Uber accounts. It turns out I got to benefit from their each of their discounts only once though. The logistics of synchronizing information when someone else requests an Uber on your behalf can be quite tedious. Yes, I can be quite a pain in the ass but I also have my limits.

On the Uber experience itself, I'd rate it positively. Both my house and workplace areas are Uber hot-zones, so in most cases, my Uber arrived within 5 and 10 short minutes of me requesting the trip, despite my take-off times being really early and late respectively. Also, most of my drivers got a 5-star rating from me. The only annoyance was that for a few rides, the route I was charged for was literally impossible (except cars now swim through water); some bug with the GPS-tracking system on the app I guess. And I think this bug made my fare higher than it would have been otherwise, even though not inordinately so.

Ubering through the five-cowries creek

RIP fitness

For at least four weeks preceding this just past one, I've been going to the gym at least twice a week. Also, I'm trying to improve on my running endurance, so I've upped the frequency of my runs by at least, 100% in the past three weeks. But last week, my streak on all of that good stride was lost as it is simply harder to do all of this stuff without the mobile wardrobe and changing room that a car is.

My car will be back in two days and I trust that I can pick things up from right where I left them two weeks ago without much fuss; so help me God.

Ridesharing idea remembered

And because of the pain of having to spend more on transportation than I usually do, one ridesharing software idea that first popped into my mind in 2016 made its way back. I think I just might make good on it this time; come up with an MVP or something. If I don't end up getting crippled by overthinking, that is.

13 comments

Write comments
Unknown
AUTHOR
19 October 2018 at 18:00 delete

A week without a car in lagos is comparable to missing a limp...lol. true.

22 October 2018 at 08:52 delete

This is very difficult time for me. Because i travel more sites but i have no time because from there i have not my car. But through this https://topamericanwriters.com/customwritings-com-review site i can call driver who come with his car and safely dropped me on my destination.

17 July 2021 at 14:56 delete

If you want some good written material? Get it now from the best Assignment Help UK

Unknown
AUTHOR
19 October 2021 at 16:45 delete

A jacket is a garment for the upper body, usually extending below the hips. Our men red white rib jacket typically has extraordinary leather material, only available exclusively on topcelebsjakets.com.

28 October 2021 at 15:43 delete

We pride ourselves on our body and paint service; we always strive for quality and perfection. At ALSA Automotive, we know that when Insurance claims in abu dhabi it comes to the bodywork of a vehicle, this job must work and treat with the highest possible quality. After all, it is the most visible part of the car and must be flawless.

28 October 2021 at 17:35 delete

Together with our comprehensive knowledge of materials and safety protocols that follow strict regulations, we offer a widedry bulk trucking range of bulk transportation trucks to ensure that each load is hauled and transported safely and efficiently.

1 November 2021 at 06:04 delete

My vehicle has been at the board blender's studio for the beyond 6 days. It's expected to be back with me on Tuesday (two days to go). All things considered, I thought I'd talk about my involvement with the previous week where I've been compelled to carry on with life in an express that is tantamount to missing an appendage.

1 November 2021 at 19:31 delete

If you are worried about the cracks on your home do not worry .We are here to get it repair. If you are worried about snow on your roof, we can remove it. We are here to clean you gutter.

8 November 2021 at 11:33 delete

A natural aphrodisiac royal performance honey for sex that gives you energy and relief from erectile dysfunction and enhances both female arousal and male performance

Unknown
AUTHOR
17 November 2021 at 10:37 delete

Elite Fencing Systems Ltd offers quality fencing services and products, especially commercial fencing. Our accommodating and skilled staff can help you with all aspects of a fence or gate project, regardless of size and difficulty. Our small business has been serving the making us the most reliable fencing company in all of Edmonton.Commercial Security fence edmonton

27 November 2021 at 11:07 delete

Hasten Chemical is a team of professionals who work to maximize the bottom line results of its clients. As a wholesaler of chemical products, Hasten provides unconditional commitment to excellence in quality, that will provide consistent results, and make us the partner of choice to help produce and maintain growth of Products and Service Companies.

29 November 2021 at 11:44 delete

Being the best backsplash contractor Edmonton, we are passionate about backsplashes for kitchens or baths for homes and commercial projects. Our creative staff will help you choose the best tile pairing for your new project or renovation task. Our wall tiles installation Edmonton is flawless, and we perform ceiling ceramic tile installation as well. We are unmatched in service, selection, and styles as backsplash installers Edmonton. Whether your design idea is contemporary, formal, farmhouse, or even eclectic, we can install it to fit your budgeted plans for your backsplash Edmonton. Our goal at wall tiles contractor Edmonton is to deliver you endless inspiration for your project and and we will exceed your expectations. Select from a wide selection of wall covering tiles for your backsplash installation Edmonton or ceiling tile installation.

Unknown
AUTHOR
30 November 2021 at 15:28 delete

Owned and operated since 2008, we provide contractors, designers, and masons with quality, competitively-priced Interior Stone Edmonton for your project needs. From natural to manufactured stone, we have a wide selection of options. Also, our products come in a range of colors, textures, and installation requirements, meaning you can provide versatile choices to your customers and clients.
Interior Stone Edmonton